Double Hung Windows
Double-hung windows slide up or down to provide ventilation. Browse options from Buildmart to find your ideal style.
What Are Double-Hung Windows?
Double-hung windows are window styles with two sashes that can be lowered from the top or raised from the bottom to close or open the window. These sashes usually operate independently. The two sashes meet in the middle, where they lock with a latch to shut the window. Unlike the single hung windows, in which you have to clean the upper sash from the outside, double-hung windows are easy to clean as all sashes tilt and therefore can be cleaned from inside your house.
Double-hung windows also ensure excellent ventilation while providing maximum exterior and interior space use since they do not protrude outwards or inwards. As such, you will find this window style in entertainment spaces such as porches and patios.
Double-hung windows are commonly the preferred choice for farmhouse and traditional homes in Ottawa. Incorporating a less detailed grille pattern enhances the conventional aesthetic, giving the window a contemporary detail and allure. Find out more about double-hung windows, their features, frequently asked questions, and more below.
Features and Benefits of Double-Hung Windows
There are many essential features that would make you choose double-hung windows over other window options:
- Double-hung windows consist of two operable sashes. One of the greatest benefits is excellent ventilation capabilities as both sashes can be opened to allow airflow. The bottom sash allows cool fresh air while the top sash expels warm indoor air. This enhances indoor air quality.
- Aesthetically appealing – one of the main reasons homeowners choose double-hung windows is their beauty, especially wood double-hung windows. They can be designed in different styles, finishes, sizes, and colours and fit well in modern and traditional homes.
- Easy to maintain – by design, double-hung windows are engineered for easy maintenance. The two sashes can be tilted for easier cleaning from the inside of your home. Apart from cleaning, the other regular care you need is to inspect the other parts to make sure they are properly lubricated. Thanks to minimal maintenance that any homeowner can do easily, your double-hung windows can serve you for a long time.
- Safe operation design – unlike other windows that crank out and project outwards, double-hung windows operate differently, saving on space and eliminating the risks of accidents, especially when installed in places with limited space such as walkways and patios. They can be locked when closed and are not easy for intruders to break in.
- Energy-efficient – double-hung windows are designed with low-E glass with gas fill. This improves its energy efficiency hence helping you to save on energy costs.
Double-hung Replacement and Installation
We offer professional replacement and installation of double-hung windows in the Ottawa region. Our professional service experts understand their work and always aim for a quality installation. As such, they will inspect your home and advise you accordingly about the right type of replacement to carry out.
Our double-hung windows are engineered explicitly with the harsh climatic conditions of Canada in mind. This, coupled with high-quality installation, you are assured of excellent window performance.
The manufacturers and supplying companies that you get your windows from are crucial to consider. You would want to get your double-hung window in Ottawa from experienced manufacturers. That is why we work with only licensed and professional window manufacturers in Canada.
When you buy replacement-hung windows from us, you know you are getting the best deals from renowned window suppliers such as Dimensions, STAGE, Ostaco, Gentek, among others. This wide selection of manufacturers guarantees that your new construction windows in Ottawa fulfill all your specifications.
At Buildmart, we have a wide selection of window colours you can choose from. More so, you can opt for custom colours from Buildmart and make your home look as you wish.
What are double-hung windows?1
A sash is the moveable window part composed of a horizontal and vertical frame that keeps the glass in place. Double-hung windows are also called double-sash windows.
How do I clean double-hung windows?2
You can clean your hung window from the interior of your home by tilting the sashes. Start with the upper sash by cleaning the exterior and then the interior glass surface. Do the same with the bottom sash.
How do double-hung windows function?3
They are designed with two sashes that slide down and up independently.
What is the difference between a double-hung window and a single-hung window?4
The difference between these two window styles melts down to the number of sashes that move. While in a single-hung window, only the bottom sash moves, both upper and lower sashes are operable in double-hung windows.